Al-Qaeda Affiliate’s Allegation of Ghazipur Mandi Bomb Threat False: Delhi Police | Latest India News

Senior officials from the special cell, Delhi Police’s counter-terrorism squad, said they were still investigating whether the group was responsible for the attempted terror attack.

Delhi police on Monday said they found claims by the terrorist group Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind, an Islamist militant group affiliated with al-Qaeda, regarding the Ghazipur Mandi bomb threat to be false.


Senior officials from the special cell, Delhi Police’s counter-terrorism squad, said they were still investigating whether the group was responsible for the attempted terror attack.

It was on Friday that a bag full of explosives was recovered from the Ghazipur flower market at around 10:30 a.m., after which the entire market was evacuated and the IED defused by the National Security Guard (NSG).

On Monday, NSG confirmed it was a mixture of RDX and ammonium nitrate attached to a sophisticated device to cause the explosion.

Al-Qaeda-linked group claims to have planted bomb in Ghazipur market: police

Delhi Police, who had registered a case under the explosive act to investigate the incident, however, said they had yet to identify a terrorist group responsible for the bombing.


“While monitoring social media, we found a letter from Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind claiming responsibility for the attempted attack. This group is relatively new. We have not found any authentic source to the note so far,” a senior police officer said.

The letter making the rounds on social media also mentioned that it was due to a technical error that the device did not explode. But that doesn’t mean the same will happen even next time, he said.

Police said it could be an attempt to mislead the investigation.