“I thought I was going to die”: thugs armed with machetes burst into a house in the middle of the night and attack two women

A pair of thugs attacked two women with a machete after breaking into their apartment at 2 a.m., before stealing a branded handbag.

Dale Bailey, 25, and a boy, 17, who cannot be named for legal reasons, shouted “give us the money” as they smashed down the door of the Warwick Street house, Leigh, the October 19 last year.

Wendy Reynolds was listening to music with her daughter and roommate Lisa Riley, when she heard a bang outside, prosecution lawyer Kate Hammond told Bolton Crown Court.

READ MORE: Family of Amanda Selby, 15, pay tribute to ‘caring and caring’ teenage girl as brother appears in court for her murder

Ms Reynolds saw Bailey and the teenager on the way outside, wearing balaclavas, and told them she was going to call the police.

Although they rushed to lock the door, the couple kicked it down and forced their way inside.

The 17-year-old punched Ms Reynolds and as she raised her hand to protect her face, Bailey grabbed her with the machete.

Bailey and the teenager kept asking “where the drugs were hidden” and walked into each room, Ms. Reynolds fighting them in each.

Ms Hammond said that at one point Bailey stopped attacking Ms Reynolds after she ‘grabbed her testicles’ but a 17-year-old attacked her until she let go socket.

Ms Riley’s finger was also cut after being caught with the machete, but she managed to escape to a neighbor.

Warwick Street in Leigh

Ms Reynold’s daughter was so scared that she tried to escape through a window, but lost her grip and fell onto the roof of a 4×4, briefly losing consciousness in the process.

Bailey and the 17-year-old eventually fled the apartment with a Louis Vuitton handbag, cell phone and tablet.

Police caught the teenager in nearby Devon Street after he tripped. Officers also found a bloodstained bag and a machete.

Bailey was arrested on Manchester Road and also had cannabis, scales and a grinder on him.

Ms Reynolds suffered a broken jaw in the incident, as well as three fractures around her eye socket and a gash in her hand, which required stitches.

In a victim impact statement, she said she was “traumatized” and the incident “would stay with her for the rest of her life.”

Ms Hammond added: “She feared for her daughter’s safety, which is why she fought.

“She didn’t want her to get hurt.”

Ms Rigby had a cut on her index finger and Ms Reynold’s daughter had bruises.

Bolton Crown Court

Ms Reynold’s daughter said in a victim impact statement: “I feel horrible.

“Nothing like this has ever happened to me before.

“I feel sad and traumatized.”

Ms Rigby said: “Due to this incident, I don’t really want to go home, where I have lived for so long.

“I shouldn’t be afraid to go home. I don’t know why these two people did this and asked me for money because I don’t work and don’t have a lot anyway.

“I can honestly say I’m terrified to step foot in my house because I think it could happen again.

“I was really scared for my own life and thought I was going to die. I have a lot of mental health issues and it made my anxiety worse.

Dale bailey
Dale bailey

“I feel a nervous wreck. My life has changed so much for the worse.

“I honestly thought Wendy was going to be killed that night.

“Every time I hear the door, I panic in case it happens again. Even when the police knocked on my door to take this statement, I panicked, froze in terror and couldn’t breathe. . “

She added: “Our dog’s name is Foxy and her behavior has changed since the attack. She has constant tremors and is on high alert.”

Bailey, of Balmoral Drive, Leigh, and the 17-year-old both broke their bail terms, before pleading guilty to aggravated burglary.

Defending Bailey, Bob Elias described the early guilty plea as the only mitigating feature.

He said: “I am not minimizing the nature of the offense. It was a terrible offense where the victims were terrified.

“It seems to have been a misguided attempt to tax drugs, but it is clear that it was not. It seems to have been the motivation.

“He had the option of paying off a drug debt and was set up by drug dealers to commit this offense.”

Mr Elias also told the court that Bailey is a father of three but has an “unstable background” and is addicted to drugs.

He added: “He feels remorse and a certain empathy for the victim.”

Defense attorney for the 17-year-old, Stuart Duke, told the court he was under the influence of cannabis, diazepam and Xanax at the time of the offense.

Mr Duke also read a letter from the 17-year-old’s mother.

Manchester courts are among the busiest in the country with a wide range of cases heard each week.

To stay up to date with how justice is served in Greater Manchester, subscribe to our free weekly MEN Court News newsletter written by our court reporters Andrew Bardsley and Amy Walker.

How do I register?

  1. First click on this link to our newsletter registration center.
  2. Once you’re there, put your email address where it’s listed at the top, then check the MEN Court News box. Other newsletters are also available if you wish.
  3. When you’ve made your choice, hit the Save Changes button at the bottom.

He said: “I do not in any way endorse what he did.

“[He] went through a lot watching my partners abuse me. I had my own problems with drugs, but I am now sober.

“Meanwhile [he] ended up with my mom and sister, who couldn’t cope with her ADHD and took her into care.

“From there he derailed because he felt lonely and betrayed.”

He continued: “I really believe that if [he] had the right support, he could do great things. “

Judge Tom Gilbart has adjourned sentencing until Friday August 6.

Sign up for MEN electronic newsletters to get the latest local news, court news and more by clicking here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.